1996-11-05 - “Fortune” article on crypto

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 84bbeae347346985f812da18785a38eccf42b92cf0f9ae49647620a54575b579
Message ID: <v03007800aea547163a07@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:44:16 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:44:16 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Fortune" article on crypto

Wading through 150 or more messages from while I was away (a huge fraction
of them either about or from Vulis), I didn't see mention of the long
article on crypto, export issues, RSADSI, Bidzos, the NSA, etc., in the
current issue of "Fortune" magazine, 11 November.

One think caught my eye, though I haven't finished reading the whole thing.

"Bidzos professes what seems sincere respect for the spy agency--several of
its former staffers even work for him. But he insists that it needs a
gadfly: "I've gone there a few times and listened to their dark-side folks.
I always come out feeling that I'm a traitor. I deserve to die. I'm causing
the early demise of society and should just scuttle the company, But an
hour after I leave the agency, my head clears and I think, "Okay, back to
reality.""

This echoes the feeling I often have (though I have never been given the
"If you knew what we know" spiel, though I have a vivid imagination and
have known for the last half-dozen years what the implications of strong
and untraceable crypto implies). That is, I understand the role of the NSA
and the longterm "threats" strong crypto implies.

(I avoid blather about how all it is useful for is to protect the
democratic and privacy rights of citizen-units. That's comforting twaddle,
popular with some journalists and some namby pamby privacy advocates. In
fact, strong crypto is a tool for deconstructing and demolishing democratic
institutions, which is why I support it. Obviously. Yes, I sometimes get
concerned about the lives which will be affected, but, ultimately, the
ubermensch must do what he must do, regardless of how some in the herd are
affected.)

Also Sprach Tim,

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.