1996-11-14 - Re: Getting attention the old-fashioned way

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8855443877e7448785d73200971532275fb1f7eb864abd103dcb823fab32deac
Message ID: <328A6112.3BB6@ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v03007808aead2c1a14b4@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-14 00:00:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:00:51 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:00:51 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Getting attention the old-fashioned way

C Matthew Curtin wrote:

> Tim> Sad that journalists cater to this kind of thing. I guess
> Tim> "personality pieces" are ever so much more popular than technical
> Tim> pieces, or even careful explications of things like crypto
> Tim> anarchy and the real implications of the tecnologies we are
> Tim> involved with.
>
> Sad, yes; surprising, no. It's been my experience that such things are
> often dependant on the journalist's audience (i.e., is it a trade rag
> like InfoWorld or the National Enquirier?)

Or for that matter, the Netly News,
http://pathfinder.com/Netly/daily/961112.html

> In any event, journalists
> (and/or their publishers) aren't usually noted for doing things that
> are interesting or important. Rather, they seem to have a preference
> for writing and publishing what will sell. (Just as is the case with
> TV talk shows, etc.)
>
> What's worrysome is that the degenerates who concern themselves with
> nonsense are numerous enough to make sufficient demand to keep the
> mainstream press focused on such trivial matters, allowing more
> significant things to go unreported outside of the small circles from
> which they've originated.

I couldn't agree more.

Maybe I should have helped Lewis Koch out. At least he isn't a fucking
hypocrite.

-rich

Thread