1996-11-20 - Re: Rogue Governments Issuing Policy Tokens

Header Data

From: Jim Ray <jmr@shopmiami.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8fb63fb176be8628bee0dea473e045cd75b80b0a15f4b523a240c6e9e08e772f
Message ID: <199611200314.WAA35686@osceola.gate.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:14:33 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jim Ray <jmr@shopmiami.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:14:33 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rogue Governments Issuing Policy Tokens

To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Wed Nov 20 22:12:52 1996
Hal wrote:

<snip>

> I can't see the U.S. allowing Libya and similar countries to create
>  policy
> tokens.  The whole point of this exercise is to prevent these countries
> from being able to use strong crypto.  So they will certainly not be on
> the approved list.

I think Tim was referring to a "Panama" or "'80s Iraq" situation, rather
than a stable enemy state like Libya. Unless the hardware has some way of
making itself have a short lifetime, there will be problems when U.S. policy
changes or when one is stolen.

<snip>

> Companies which try to sell computers with these
>  chips
> in them risk getting a "big brother inside" (to use Tim's very effective
> slogan) reputation.  I think this initiative is going nowhere.

Amen. Sometimes these policy initiatives seem so ham-handed that the
suspicious side of me wonders "what they're really up to." They can't
seriously think they can control this any more than they can control the
ocean, at least not without an awesome (even for this century) world-wide
police-state.
JMR

P.S. Please, everyone, try not to feed the flamefest-knights, so they will
someday (hopefully) go away. Creative killfiling can only do so much.

Regards, Jim Ray
DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

One of the "legitimate concerns of law enforcement" seems to be
that I was born innocent until proven guilty and not the other
way around. -- me

Please note new 2000bit PGPkey & address <jmr@shopmiami.com>
PGP id.A7D63DA9 98 1F 39 BA 93 86 B4 F5  57 52 64 0E DA BA 2C 71

Thread