1996-11-03 - Re: NSA Report: Anyone seen this?

Header Data

From: Norman Hardy <norm@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 93957681ccf428e98b50fa48d8899cff84bd02592c3a05f8d5595230d48fc2e0
Message ID: <v03007803aea2c9c2042d@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 14:40:57 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Norman Hardy <norm@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 14:40:57 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NSA Report: Anyone seen this?

I just finished reading the report "How to Make a Mint: The Cryptography of
Anonymous Electronic Cash" by Law, Sabett & Solinas. It can be found at
<http://jya.com/nsamint.htm>.

It is very well written with only identification of the issues except in
the last short paragraph where they clearly lean toward government
interests.

They identify and distinguish interests of the bank, the consumer's
privacy, and the government. Some of the measures that they describe
(providing for traceability) might well be done by a bank operating in an
anarchy. Imagine that you are running a bank in an anarchy and the son of
one of your good customers is kidnapped and held for ransom. Suppose that
the kidnapper is a good customer of another bank with whom you have an
arm's length relation. The arguments are not simple. Only towards the end
does the paper begin to conflate the interests of the government and the
bank. Some of the law enforcement purposes that they describe would apply
to the anarchy bank, others would not.

The paper is the best description I have seen of several advanced money
schemes. It has a better description of Chaum's off-line scheme than I had
seen before. It describes sever even more advanced schemes, both abstracted
form the mathematical details, and then with the details filled in.

Thread