1996-11-08 - Re: Blocking addresses by default

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c67ee58553dacd75d9e173fd7a0e586bc5e7da0898611db85e8d7c66de9b77d
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961108085824.003b5868@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:00:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:00:44 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Blocking addresses by default

Rich wrote:
>I think this threatens serious security problems for the remailer
>network in two ways:
>1. You'd create a list of people interested in anonymous information,
>   which could potentially be obtained by police or other armed thugs.
>2. The traffic would go down so substantially that traffic analysis
>   would be trivial.

Yeah.  If you keep a centralized list, it's too risky.
I've been thinking about how to implement a related approach -
when the mailer receives anonymous mail for you, it sends a message saying
        Subject: Anonymous message #<cookie>
        Hi!  You've got an anonymous message!
        Here's how to retrieve it / block future messages / accept all
future....
        <disclaimers, explanations, etc.>
and you can send back the cookie to retrieve the message.
Blocking or accepting also using the cookie, to reduce denial-of-service
and spam attacks.

This approach is primarily useful for terminal remailers, but if you set up
the syntax carefully, you can get the things to relay to each other.
It's not particularly useful for posting news, though.
Since it is good for terminal remailers, that may make it less hassle
to run them.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk