1996-11-02 - Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Header Data

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
To: cypherpunks, gnu
Message Hash: ab300b51a22bf14e6e694b94dc574d1740555a0fa4cd5889bc241cd2cc282c4c
Message ID: <199611021013.CAA17861@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 02:13:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 02:13:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks, gnu
Subject: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

As stated by Dr. Vulis, he is no longer on the cypherpunks mailing
list, and indeed majordomo@toad.com HAS been instructed to ignore his
requests to resubscribe.

I removed him, on my own initiative.  I got tired of asking him to
stop stirring up flames.  When he posted a message saying that we'd
have to use technical means to stop him from flaming the list, I said,
"OK".

Tim May was not involved.

I've met Dr. Vulis in person.  He seemed like a reasonable guy.  I
treated him that way for months, despite his inability to control
himself on the list.  When he ultimately declined to control his
outbursts after numerous personal requests, I removed him.

The cypherpunks list is for discussions centered around cryptography.
I'm sure there are several mailing lists where ethnic cleansing
discussions would be welcome.  There are probably even mailing lists
which encourage people to fire off their best inflammatory messages.
If there aren't, Dr Vulis could start one.  I don't sponsor any.

Cypherpunks, please resist your own temptation to bait him (or anyone
else).  The best defense a mailing list has against flames is to
simply ignore them.  When they don't provoke an emotional response,
they don't accomplish the poster's goal, and the poster eventually
wanders off in search of more naive pastures.

	John Gilmore

Thread