1996-11-13 - Secrecy: My life as a nym

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b8c16f11340f6f4d6341802a12f865f376da1b98c29fab88b1b77eeb1654995a
Message ID: <v02140b0eaeaf077188f4@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:06:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:06:59 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Secrecy: My life as a nym

>At 10:14 PM 11/11/96 -0600, Igor Chudov wrote:
>
>>This is an interesting topic. I apologize if my questions are too trivial,
>>but here they are:
>>
>>       1) Can a person without an SSN have a credit record? Some
>>          may say that a credit record is a bad thing to have,
>>          but I am still interested in a possibility.
>>       2) Will private lenders (such as credit card issuers or
>>          mortgage companies) agree to extend credit to a person
>>          without an SSN or to someone who refuses to give out his SSN?
>>       3) Will the state issue a driver's license to someone who does not
>>          have/does not wish to give out their SSN?
>>       4) Will states' police (where applicable) approve purchases of
>>          firearms if purchasers do not state their ssn (misstating it
>>          may be a crime) on an application?
>>       5) Employers are required to pay certain taxes and therefore
>>          they, in my understanding, need to know their employees SSNs.
>>          How can people get around that (unless they do not need to work)?
>>       6) Can someone without an SSN obtain various kinds of insurance?

Some recent congressional actions or court rulings regarding the mandidate
for SSN (Source: National Organization for Non-Enumeration (NONE),
http://ime.net/none):

* Public Law 104-193 President Clinton Signs Welfare Bill. The bill
includes a number of sections attempting to expand the use of the Social
Security number and creates new state and federal databases for personal
information.

* H.R. 3598 Prohibits certain misuses of the Social Security number.
Prohibits any person from utilizing any person's Social Security number for
purposes of identification of such person without the written consent of
such person.

* H.R. 3110 Disclosure of Social Security number. Provides for disclosure
by the Social Security Administration of Social Security numbers and other
records to judgments, or orders issued by courts of competent jurisdiction.

* H.R. 4209 Requires applicants registering to vote to provide Social
Security number. Amends the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 to
require each individual registering to vote in elections for Federal office
to provide the individual's Social Security number.

* S. 580 Illegal Immigration Control and Enforcement Act of 1995. Provides
for a reduction of acceptable employment-verification documents.

* S. 999 Illegal Immigration Control Act of 1995. Provides for the issuance
of enhanced social security cards for citizens and mandates employer
verification of the number.

* Olympia, Washington. Court rules no "right to labor" without social
security number.

* Bar None New Hampshire attorney, was suspended from the Maine Bar because
he refused to disclose his Social Security number. Reinstated after
agreeing to Consent Decree.

* Texas Tech Texan was terminated from his employment for failing to
provide a social security number. Filed a religious discrimination claim
with EEOC. Rehired under provisions of Consent Decree.

* Stop The Press Washington state youth was fired from his newpaper route
for not having a Social Security number. Rehired after proving federal law
does not require enumeration as a condition of employment.

* Vote! Vote! Virginia's law requiring all citizens to provide their Social
Security number in order to become registered to vote imposes "an
intolerable burden" on their right to vote.

* Taco's Are His Life Ohio teenager fired by Taco Bell for refusing to
provide a Social Security number. Rehired after proving there is no
requirement to provide number to employer.

* Social Security Number Not Needed For Licenses Virginians can choose not
to have their SSN appear on their driver's license.

* Driver License District of Columbia law requiring applicants for driver's
license to provide their Social Security number held invalid.

-- Steve

Thread