1996-11-15 - moderation vs filtering

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: vznuri@netcom.com
Message Hash: c90714b971cde453cf3e9fa74ed4ac3d0d7b0e6d702ca0b9877bc99628f8f4bc
Message ID: <199611150156.BAA00364@server.test.net>
Reply To: <199611150347.TAA10625@netcom20.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-15 14:03:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 06:03:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 06:03:55 -0800 (PST)
To: vznuri@netcom.com
Subject: moderation vs filtering

Vlad Nuri <vznuri@netcom.com> writes:
> >Cypherpunks does not seem to me to be anything like the well-
> >regulated lists you ascribe to Prof Volokh.
> >

> Declan should rest his point here. the cpunk listis notorious
> for being way astray. yet cpunks continuously argue against
> anyone with a moderator type role. could there be some correlation
> between lack of moderation/leadership on the list and the
> piles of noise that people incessantly complain about? of
> course I'm insane for suggesting this.

Lack of a moderator doesn't preclude you from reading one of the
filtered lists.  If anyone doesn't want to take the time to filter
their own reading, they can subscribe to one of the filtered lists.
This gives you more choice than a centrally censored/moderated list;
you choose which filtered list to subscribe to, or to subscribe to the
unfiltered list, or to do your own filtering via kill files, junking
threads etc.

Adam