1996-11-22 - Re: Stewart Baker on new crypto rules

Header Data

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
To: Lucky Green <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dc70f614c32b6756ae8e959e6dd60f12b3181a510a7866d9e17b15eb470dddb3
Message ID: <199611221950.LAA15884@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:50:33 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:50:33 -0800 (PST)
To: Lucky Green <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Stewart Baker on new crypto rules

At 08:17 PM 11/20/96 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
> he [hp's policy person]
>replied:
>
>"There are many
>possible interpretations of the words 'voluntary' and 'mandatory'."
>
>I am willing to testify to this under oath.
>
>I don't know what dictionary HP is using. Orwell himself must have
>written it.

Well, if the customer does not complain about its inclusion, and chooses to
use it for its simplicity over more secure, "after market" systems, then
thats voluntary.  Thats the same voluntary that means that if the people
don't get out to the polls then they volunteered to keep thier opinions
about how government should be run to themselves.  It will probably be
voluntary, no one tells you that you have to use interNic when using the
internet, but you probably do because it is easier than trying to route
around it to its new competitor (the one issuing URL's ending in .auto and
.bus among others).  No one is telling you to use interNic, no one is
telling you to pay to register with interNic, but it is definately less of a
headache.

Thread