1996-11-20 - US supporting dissidents? (was Re: Rogue Governments Issuing Policy Tokens)

Header Data

From: David Wuertele <dave@cave.gctech.co.jp>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: e2ba97e197dba1a5197db37ff6c647adaddd63929edbbae832e9b427880eff20
Message ID: <ygelobxjbm7.fsf@cave.gctech.co.jp>
Reply To: <v03007800aeb7b8522b6a@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-20 10:39:43 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 02:39:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: David Wuertele <dave@cave.gctech.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 02:39:43 -0800 (PST)
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: US supporting dissidents? (was Re: Rogue Governments Issuing Policy Tokens)

"Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net> writes:

> (As noted in the Declan story, the machinery of having government issue
> policy cards, if successful, essentially blocks dissidents and
> revolutionaries from gaining certain powers. The U.S. _used_ to support
> dissidents and revolutionaries in various countries...no longer, I guess.
> The price of winning the Cold War: complacency.)

I don't think it has to do with complacency.  US support for "dissidents and
revolutionaries" was definitely not based on revolutionaryism, nor on
"cold-war" policy support for democracy, as Noam Chomsky likes to drill into
our heads over and over.

> Time to dust off those "Big Brother Inside" stickers someone had printed up
> a couple of years ago.

I know that Intel has succeeded in forcing the "Linux Inside" logo and stickers
off the net on threats of trademark infringement suits.  I have a feeling "Big
Brother Inside" would make them even more upset.

Dave

Thread