1996-11-22 - RE: Mass-market crypto phones

Header Data

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e3385b3d950535b46419152fae388afd1bdedb221bd3236d134fd5a843c781ee
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961122150532.006d0fe0@ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 07:06:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 07:06:54 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Mass-market crypto phones

At 09:41 AM 11/22/96 -6, Peter Trei wrote (in part):
>It's kind of pathetic - I'm sure that the billions lost to cellular fraud
>far outweigh the value of crimes that the  LEA groups have been
>able  prevent by preserving their ability to illegally eavesdrop on
>cell calls without a warrant.

Lots of TV specials lately on stealing cell-phone codes and cloning phones.
Seems to me that this would be ridiculously easy to stop using crypto.

As a side issue (related to your comment about banning the listening in on
cell-phone calls).  I find it pretty amazing that it is possible to make it
illegal to listen to signals broadcast over public airways.  Yet another way
crypto will help society - it will make such laws restricting our freedoms
obsolete.

        Clay

>Peter Trei
>trei@process.com
>(standard disclaimer applies)
>
>Peter Trei
>Senior Software Engineer
>Purveyor Development Team
>Process Software Corporation
>http://www.process.com
>trei@process.com

Clay Olbon			    olbon@ix.netcom.com
engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.

Thread