1996-11-16 - Re: Does John Gilmore…

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ea76eecb8d1a33a458424f7f48b721b63fca2d2696ec3148a688f8f177ffdff3
Message ID: <199611161852.KAA19877@netcom8.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961116100146.0074095c@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-16 18:53:13 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:53:13 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:53:13 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Does John Gilmore...

Rich Burroughs <richieb@teleport.com> writes:

 > I think that John is doing a lot of great things for crypto
 > (his participation in the Bernstein case, S/WAN, etc.) and I
 > agree with at least 90% of the things I see him doing.  I
 > think he made the wrong call with Dimitri, though.

Banning Dimitri was a really dumb thing to do.  The list is
archived practically in real time on the Web and anyone can post
whether or not they are subscribed, not to mention the
availability of anonymous remailers, with which Cypherpunks is
closely associated.

So we had a unilaterial act, which was completely unenforcable,
that made us all look like a bunch of clueless hypocrites in the
process and filled the list with yet another pointless flame war.

Indeed, we have here another classic example of not quite
grasping the issues involved, much like what we see on a regular
basis from the EFF as they merrily capitulate right and left with
Congressrodents on bills most Cypherpunks find unacceptable.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread