1996-11-08 - Anonymous remailer client in Java

Header Data

From: Geoffrey KEATING <geoffk@discus.anu.edu.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ee45f899880549e532a82e62fea78315923556103c8426db7aa9b093c6b6a4ce
Message ID: <199611080640.RAA19222@discus.anu.edu.au>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:41:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Geoffrey KEATING <geoffk@discus.anu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 22:41:43 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Anonymous remailer client in Java

I have set up a Java client for type 1 anonymous remailers at
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~geoffk/anon/anon.html>.

The client features a simple type-and-click interface, PGP encryption,
automatic remailer chaining, and a 100% java implementation---no
native code required. It has been tested under Netscape and Sun's
AppletViewer on MacOS and Solaris. It will let you create simple reply
blocks (those which don't encrypt the message).

This is intended as a better way to post mail anonymously via the
web (especially since Community ConneXion's https service seems to
have shut down).

Flaws:

- Persons in the US will not be able to use it unless they have a
license from RSA (which is unlikely).

- It doesn't do Mixmaster remailers yet (but it will soon).

- It can't actually send the mail if you're behind a firewall, but it
will PGP encrypt a message for you to send.

- It has to send all its mail via the HTTP server's machine because of
applet security restrictions---you can fix this by making a local
copy, or (if you're brave) giving it more permissions. The mail is
encrypted from your machine, so this isn't insecure, just slow and a
waste of bandwidth.

Ideally, it would run from a web site on the same machine as an
anonymous remailer, and use that as the first hop in the chain. If
anyone (outside the US, of course) would be interested in setting this
up, please e-mail me at the address below.

Please CC any followups, as I am not presently subscribed to
cypherpunks.

--
Geoff Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>

Thread