1996-11-27 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: John Kozubik <kozubik@shoelace.FirstLink.com>
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Message Hash: ef45912b0488ec28e0db5e189bb2894bcebe1d4635e1d172d5d629d640e9026a
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.961127081839.6595A-100000@shoelace.FirstLink.com>
Reply To: <199611262152.WAA01587@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-27 15:25:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 07:25:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Kozubik <kozubik@shoelace.FirstLink.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 07:25:34 -0800 (PST)
To: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Subject: Re: your mail

> >> This betrays your ignorance.  I.Q. is scaled according to age.  One does
> >> not "improve."

I am new to the list, and I was going to just sit and absorb for a few
weeks, but....

Yes, the IQ scale that we generally refer to is based on age, ie. a 10
year old and a 5 year old that perform equally will have different IQ scores.

However, it is now generally accepted in the psychology field that your
brain can degrade or improve over time based on the stresses placed upon
it.  Basically what this means is that your brain is like a muscle, and
the more you use it, the higher your IQ becomes.

Contrary to popular armchair psychology, there is no significant evidence
that IQ and age are inversely related.  In general, however, the older we
get, the less we use our brain, and it becomes like a muscle that we no
longer use.

The point: Yes, you can improve your brain, and you can take proactive
steps to increase your IQ.

(back to lurk mode)

Thread