1996-11-14 - Re: Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)

Header Data

From: Moroni <moroni@scranton.com>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: ef5a9190796ea12d4605e6d49a2e3fdc679268a3b9b615877f7b21a30b393204
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961114092223.10415A-100000@user1.scranton.com>
Reply To: <328AAD68.3B56@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-14 14:25:10 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:25:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Moroni <moroni@scranton.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:25:10 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)

   I once had a boyfriend who was a Nazi. That is he was former third
Reich. Anyway ,a lot of them if not all that have come to this country
join or convert to the JW .Jehovah Witnesses are exempt from
fingerprinting and photgraphing . In the place where they are supposed to
have the photograph their is some sort of writing.

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:26:00 -0800
> From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
> To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)
>
> Sean Roach wrote:
> > At 08:26 AM 11/11/96 -0800, Hal Finney wrote:
> > >I have two kids entering their teens, and I'm sure other list members are
> > >parents as well.  What can we do for our children to help them enter their
> > >adult lives with better chances to retain privacy?  Unicorn mentions keeping
> > >them absent from school on picture day, although I'm not sure how much this
> > >helps.  I suppose it makes it harder for an investigator to find out what
> > >they look(ed) like.  Then when they get old enough to drive you have a new
> > >problem avoiding the photo (and thumbprint) on the license.
>
> > As far as the drivers linscense goes, there are religions that do not allow
> > its members to be photographed, and the government honers this,(at least the
> > Tag Offices do).  I don't know the name of the religion but I believe it is
> > a Christian one.  Convert once every four years to get your drivers
> > liscense, and convert back within the week.  No photograph on that little
> > piece of plastic.
> > P.S.  In Oklahoma, there is no thumbprint on the current liscense.
> > P.P.S  You can always send your child to school with a note saying that you
> > do not want your child in the class picture, I know of someone who did that,
> > (on a side-note, we always wondered why.)
>
> Certain conservative sects [Puritan, Amish (I think)] believe strongly in
> the Old Testament command to "not make any image of anything in the air,
> on the ground, or in the sea" (quote approximate).  This was done to
> prevent image (idol) worship.
>
> It's ironic, given that most conservative Christians who claim to believe
> sincerely in the adage against idol worship will nonetheless have those
> beautiful, high-tech studio portraits of their children somewhere in the
> house, highly visible for all visitors and residents to gaze upon.
>
> But sadly, most Christians, like most non-Christians, just can't resist
> the temptation to worship idols, albeit in a more subtle way than bowing
> down to the molten calf.

       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       x   No success can compensate for failure in the home.  x
       x                                                       x
       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thread