1996-11-18 - Re: The Utility of Privacy

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f0aa460cd0fa859d873ac0471b7bfd915ba4ece33339e843abfc46903ddb9b05
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961118170415.006a7b98@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:13:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:13:12 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Utility of Privacy

At 11:57 AM 11/18/96 -0800, Huge Cajones Remailer wrote:

>At 8:38 PM 11/17/1996, Huge Cajones Remailer wrote:
>>> Privacy is a hassle.  Is it worth it?
>>>
>>> Which unfortunate situations does privacy prevent?  What are the odds
>>> that they will occur?  How much effort will it take to prevent these
>>> outcomes?  As a model, use the present and future situation of a
>>> typical reader of this list.

Risks of not employing privacy techniques:

1)	You might have to pay 30%+ of your income in taxes.
2)	Your driver's license might be capable of being suspended.
3)	Your children will be more likely to be grabbed by Child Protective
Services.
4)	You are *much* more likely to come to the attention of the authorities.
5)	Your usenet posts on gun control may be reported to the local sheriff's
office and an armed agent of the state may call you.
6)	You may be dunned by debt collectors.
7)	Your property will be at greater risk of forfeiture to the government or
loss to private litigation.
8)	You may have to pay thousands of dollars a year in auto insurance.
9)	You are more likely to lose a job because of something your employer
finds out about you.
10)	If you live in a "non-attainment area" your older car may fail
emissions inspection.

That's all for now.  I've got a million of them.

DCF

Thread