1996-11-21 - Better ways to spy

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f843873ec383bd3d38dccedd4dc4edd25fc3d0459dd88b3687f4992758f2942f
Message ID: <v03007801aeb9c03fa937@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <19961121033534640.AAA222@rn244.io-online.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-21 08:15:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 00:15:57 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 00:15:57 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Better ways to spy

At 6:37 PM -0700 11/20/96, Adamsc wrote:

>What will get mentioned, however, will be: "If he'd been using PGP we'd
>never have caught him.  This is why we need GAK!"

Or the more positive way of looking at things:

"If he had been using digital dead drops instead of old-fashioned
postcards, and if he'd been using more sophisticated money management
schemes instead of simple deposits after trips to Europe, he might not have
been caught."

(By the way, it's the dumb and/or careless ones who get caught. I surmise
that for every one caught, an average of two are still spying. And they
probably _are_ wiping their hard drives more carefully, probably _are_
using digital dead drops (a la message pools), and probably _are_ having
their fees wired directly to their offshore accounts.)

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.