1996-11-14 - RE: Remailer Abuse Solutions

Header Data

From: “Mullen Patrick” <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
To: “Peter Hendrickson” <ph@netcom.com>
Message Hash: ff5f91ee58d1f78b8ed76dc31337e96f255a8aad4a4722b504e963784bc2a90f
Message ID: <n1364152460.4153@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:09:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Mullen Patrick" <Mullen.Patrick@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:09:45 -0800 (PST)
To: "Peter Hendrickson" <ph@netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Remailer Abuse Solutions

First of all, I would like to apologize if it looked like I accused Peter of
being involved with a conspiracy.  I have communicated with him privately
concerning this matter, and am now making my public apology.  Thanks!

Concerning my other statements, I think I was a little confused on the
implementation of this idea, but now that I've re-read the posts, I'm confused
in another way.  It seems this feature only applies to mail forwarded through
a remailer.  As mentioned on several posts, which may be the main idea, this
would reduce the amount of noise submitted to lists.  This would be a good
thing, for sure.  Knowing that your useless messages are costing even $.25
would be enough to cut down drastically on spam.  However, I still don't see
how this is to be implemented for direct email.  How would this work for an
entity sending email directly to your account, rather than through a remailer?
The solutions that come to mind are 1) get new mail software which performs
this filtering/charging and 2) have an autoreply that sends mail not sent
through your "post office" back to the sender with a note saying to route
it through the "post office."  This "post office" would be much like with
snail mail.  All it does is collect and redistribute mail (for a small fee,
of course... :-)  This would be a good business proposition, indeed.  However,
I don't know how widely accepted it would be.

Comments?  Am I missing the point?

PM

USER ERROR:  REPLACE AND STRIKE ANY KEY WHEN READY

Thread