1996-12-07 - Re: “Family Channel” of the Internet?

Header Data

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
To: Ken Kirksey <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 0bda95d18e7283121be910ee0b4b2831637fb2fe66ef50640e8e3bb539c1d6fb
Message ID: <3.0.32.19961206210712.0091fda0@gateway.grumman.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 18:08:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 18:08:04 -0800 (PST)
To: Ken Kirksey <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: "Family Channel" of the Internet?

At 05:40 PM 12/6/96 -0500, Ken Kirksey wrote:
>1) Is it technically possible for them to limit access to only approved
>IP addresses?  If so, how can they do this, and is it possible to get
>around these measures.
Oh yeah, very easily.  Can you say 'proxy server'?  Corporations [including
the one I work for] have been using them for quite some time to control
Internet access.  For example, everytime I try to hit anything in the
GeoCities domain I get a nice little message saying I've been caught and to
stop being naughty.  You can get around it by using services (like
Anonymizer) beyond the proxy server that get pages, files, etc for you.
Assuming, of course, that the ISPs don't block those as well.

>2) What in the world would SET--I assume that was what he was talking
>about--have to do with this?
Absolutely nothing.

>3) In general, how would you use crypto to ensure that your users only
>connected to approved sites, regardless of the platform or browser
>software they were using?
I wouldn't.  It's not even a crypto issue.  That's like asking how you
would use your tea kettle to peel this orange: sure, you *could* do it, but
why?

I think your pegged 'bogometer' had it pegged.

-Rick

Rick Osborne / osborne@gateway.grumman.com / Northrop Grumman Corporation
Double your drive space - delete Windows!

Thread