1996-12-04 - Re: new mailing list & ITAR

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0dc0005e66a406902a49bb10ac4c27a2f5b52c21e128e6c3cc0239604fcd0066
Message ID: <ig0eyD3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.OSF.3.90.961204103429.19991A-100000@olympus.mta.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-04 19:26:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:26:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:26:00 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

"Michael C Taylor (CSD)" <mctaylor@olympus.mta.ca> writes:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>
> > Meta-question: if someone posts strong crypto source code to the
> > moderated mailing list, can the moderator(s) be prosecuted under ITAR?
>
> The moderator would not prosecuted if the moderator & host machine wasn't
> located in USA and not a USA citizen and if the post was not from USA.
>
> The poster may be a target if located inside USA or a USA citizen. The
> moderator might be prosecuted if the post originated inside USA or went
> through USA to be exported outside USA & Canada.

Years ago I was participating in a moderated cryptography mailing list
hosted in Japan. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of our gracious
moderated from Tohoku U. Eventually he had no time for it and let it die.
Anyway I recall posting Gilmore's DES code to that list. How ironic.

Anyway, it looks like almost every packet these days goes via mae-west and/or
mae-east.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM