1996-12-03 - Re: IP address

Header Data

From: AwakenToMe@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1e609be0fb3958dd633da7bee48c1abba68c4eedeeacc65b20c8ad7e55b73aef
Message ID: <9612021945401353438965@emout08.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-12-03 00:46:23 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:46:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: AwakenToMe@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:46:23 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: IP address

<<
 >What is the risk of publishing your dynamic IP address to a web page while
you are on line?  How vulnerable is someone just connected to the internet,
w/o any server running? What attacks are feasable? --Internaut

 Well, if you are running Win95 (all) or 3.1 (w/certain TCP/IP stacks) your
 machine can be locked up or rebooted at *any* time using just PING!

Im not sure under what circumstances you were referring this happening in,
but I use win95 and so do friends of mine whom I ping ALL the time with their
dynamic IP address. I do this to check the time before we do some online
gaming across the net. Mind you.... I dont have to be connected to a KALI
gaming server to do this.. He lets me know his IP address via his 2nd phone
line, I log on the my ISP, goto dos and PING him.. and voila!
                                       Adam

Thread