1996-12-04 - Anyone considered adding crypto into Microsoft Outlook?

Header Data

From: “Phillip M. Hallam-Baker” <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
To: “Cypherpunks (E-mail)” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 24632c337fa49ac0b4a0cda67de35658bda8f0f8a5188ff23c53be635e0f8ecf
Message ID: <01BBE14A.04580F10@crecy.ai.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:51:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Phillip M. Hallam-Baker" <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:51:41 -0800 (PST)
To: "Cypherpunks (E-mail)" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Anyone considered adding crypto into Microsoft Outlook?

Hi,

	I've been playing around with the new beta of office '97. The main addition is a pretty nice integrated calendar, task list, address book and email doobrie.

	It just struck me that it would probably make the most convenient platform for integrating cryptography. After all MAPI is an open, extensible API allowing ready access to the email "hooks" necessary. The integration of an address book with the email system makes it very easy to add public key information into a person's entry.

	I'm not sure whether PGP or MOSS would be the most compatible format. Its quite possible that S/MIME would be more appropriate.

	It seems to me however that the main thing stopping the use of crypto has been the pretty weedy interfaces. I'm afraid the MH hacks just don't cut it. It seems to me that a downloadable plug-in would be very popular. I know a lot of lawyers who would jump at the chance to use email but realize they have to have crypto.

	The main problem so far seems to be the impenetrability of the MAPI documentation. Does anyone know of a usable reference or which of the gazillion Microsoft Developer network CDs one can find more information?

		Phill

Thread