1996-12-30 - Re: ~digicash at Shell

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
To: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
Message Hash: 408c196ec360c464e8ff8b5a4aa9c72dfedf5c7a5eb04fac59a020e8984d498e
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.961230172945.5019B-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <199612302148.NAA23846@comsec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-30 22:32:18 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:32:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:32:18 -0800 (PST)
To: Eric Blossom <eb@comsec.com>
Subject: Re: ~digicash at Shell

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Eric Blossom wrote:

> > Shell is now marketing a stored-value card in $25, $50, and $100 face
> > denominations.  The $100 card retails for $94 right now.  I'm not sure if
> > that discount will be a long-term thing or if it's just to get people
> > hooked.  Anyway, the card can be purchased anonymously for cash and can be
> > used to buy anything at Shell.  I like to use the automated
> > pay-at-the-pump gizmos to save time but I don't like to leave a digital
> > footprint behind on my credit card statement for Louis' Legions to peruse,
> > so I think the stored-value card is a step forward for privacy.
>
> Is this a "stored value smart card", or something like most US phone
> cards, where the "account number" is used to debit a centrally
> maintained account?

It appears to be mag-stripe "dumb card," which is used to debit a
centrally mantained but anonymous pre-paid account.

bd

Thread