1996-12-26 - Cash - Covenience and privacy over the threat of being mugged

Header Data

From: varange@crl.com (Troy Varange)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4383eda70eed52c9290cd6a696d3385625d15b96bdabac5c9d456912db6fe637
Message ID: <Love@23715>
Reply To: <$m2n5850-.Pine.OS2.3.95.961222151556.7261A-100000@klinzhai.nanticoke.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-26 01:54:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 17:54:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: varange@crl.com (Troy Varange)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 17:54:58 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cash - Covenience and privacy over the threat of being mugged

> It's that wonderful season again, when all the assholes
> are out in force, and people feel obligated to purchase
> merchandise to give to each other.  For various reasons,
> I don't believe in credit cards, and yet, trying to pay for
> something by personal check at the local Hecht's, they either
> *require* a credit card, or go through the Nazi check-warranty
> company Equifax.

Why not just carry sufficient cash for your purchasing needs?

Irrational fear of muggers I guess is the primary reason not
to carry around, say, $500.00 cash.  But if you were mugged
for that much, wouldn't you feel worse about the mugging
itself than the actual loss of the money?  I doubt the mere
carrying of greater amounts of cash makes someone more likely
to be mugged than someone carrying nothing.  So it boils down
to whether you think it's better to use the inconvenience and
invasion of privacy of credit cards and/or checks and getting
them stolen over convenience and privacy of cash and getting
an anonymous $500.00 cash stolen.

(You also can *sign* your cash to help trace thefts.  I used to
do this when hanging around disreputable charactors.  Hell,
drug dealers will accept your money if you wrote down his
identification and "Crack Bill of Sale" in magic marker on
every bill.)

> Is it legal to require credit cards?

Yes.

BTW, my uncle was mugged at Provo Park for thirty five
cents and my front windshield of my car was smashed in for
the fifty cents in open view between the passenger seats.
You know those ancient mono AM only radios that are almost
always broken down in old cars?  Yep, had a window smashed and
the worthless radio stolen.  In another vehicle that was even
shittier looking I never locked the doors and nothing was ever
stolen; the radio and cassette player actually worked!

Merry bloody crassmus.

--
Cheers!

Thread