1996-12-11 - Utility of Snake Oil FAQ

Header Data

From: C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4c487613206b60372b77c043fd36ddca641bf3a391c76cdedde02156b83bb53c
Message ID: <199612111559.KAA13478@goffette.research.megasoft.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:06:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: C Matthew Curtin <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:06:42 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Utility of Snake Oil FAQ

Got a bit of an update for everyone who was interested in the utility
of the Snake Oil FAQ. Tim May raised the issue that it seems likely
that a usenet FAQ will only reach people sufficiently clued to look
for a usenet FAQ, which probably means they're clued enough to already
know what's in the FAQ. I myself had this concern, but went ahead
taking everyone's input and working on it anyway.

I received at least a half dozen requests from folks wanting to
include it in internal memorandums, reference it in other
(nontechnical) works about Internet and security issues, etc.

It would seem that the message is getting out (admittedly slowly,
perhaps at the rate of two a month), but I suspect that as more
attention is brought to it, we'll continue to reach more people who
need to see it.

-matt

P.S. For those of you who have tuned in late, the URL is
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/snake-oil-faq.html

--
Matt Curtin  cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com  Megasoft, Inc   Chief Scientist
http://www.research.megasoft.com/people/cmcurtin/   I speak only for myself.