1996-12-24 - Re: clipper plans 4 sale (was Re: Earl Edwin Pitts, $224,000)

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Message Hash: 4fc8cea19d16aa3c6208f57f6da7b35cc6f7f01f74a87b3d2dfecec3e015c04a
Message ID: <199612242119.QAA16490@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199612242026.MAA18998@netcom18.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-24 21:24:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 13:24:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 13:24:01 -0800 (PST)
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Subject: Re: clipper plans 4 sale (was Re: Earl Edwin Pitts, $224,000)

Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

| CYPHERPUNKS-- this would be another big front page NYT article and
| *severe* blow to the spook establishment if someone PUBLISHED this
| algorithm in cyberspace.... just noting the obvious and not
| encouraging anything ILLEGAL here, heh heh, <wink>

	I disagree.  I think publishing Skipjack would be
counterproductive.

	Right now, we're shooting to make the ITARs irrelevant by
saying things like 'IDEA is Swiss, and when we can't export it from
the US.  What does that do to competitiveness?'  We can't make that
claim about Skipjack.  Skipjack is an NSA designed cipher which the
agency probably expects will be publicised.

	But would they ever admit to it?  Heck no.  When its
published, expect screams of bloody murder by the four horsemen.

	Many people will believe it.  Its easy to construct the case
that the ITARs, as they apply to things in the public domain, thing
implemented outside the US, things designed outside the US, are just
silly.  Its much harder to make that argument about Skipjack,
especially as you can't legally export the chips.

Adam

PS: The current (year end double issue) of the Economist is quite an
enjoyable read.  Crypto relevance?  The decipherment of Mayan
hieroglyphics, some on commerce on the net.  But mostly I just found
it a very enjoyable read.

					               -Hume

Thread