1996-12-20 - Re: Proof that “cypher punks” have complete degenerated…

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “geeman@best.com>
Message Hash: 5639398b8a3a1f3205cefcc353f3f10c341e887a2ffb60227448319c387b1693
Message ID: <32B97685.69BA@gte.net>
Reply To: <isqiyD7w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-20 05:44:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:44:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:44:05 -0800 (PST)
To: "geeman@best.com>
Subject: Re: Proof that "cypher punks" have complete degenerated...

geeman@best.com wrote:
> It wasn't worth commenting on.
> Appending data after the ctrl-Z as stego?
> Not even worth a letter to the ed!

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> > No one even commented on the latest Dr. Dobbs issue.

After seeing the initial post, I ran out to get a copy, but they were
all gone.  I find it hard to believe that appending data to a file is
considered stego, even by a commercial publication such as Dr. Dobb's.
Can anyone confirm this?

I wrote an article for them in 1991 (after they printed my PC Computer
Manifesto), and at that time, the editor was really keen on filling in
some of the blanks left by the usual rushes to new compilers etc. that
leave everyone else ignored.

So they started sending me books to review.  After reviewing about six
books, all negatively (the books were crap), they didn't send any more
books, and wouldn't respond further.

I guess at the time their philosophy was something like "Yes, we live
in a world of crap, so, since we have to make a living with this crap,
let's deny that it's crap so we can continue to sell the stuff", etc.
Kinda like *certain* c-punks, who have nothing to say, so they blame
myself or Dr. Vulis for interfering with their degenerate doings on
the c-punks list.

My experience with several such magazines is that when a new editor
comes on board, he/she stirs things up and it's interesting for awhile,
but then the graft kicks in and it all goes downhill.

Thread