1996-12-22 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: drose@AZStarNet.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 594abb4c027e73a75c0123bbe99af99d26d721791af79c704d39ee321175c70f
Message ID: <199612220126.SAA20072@web.azstarnet.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:26:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: drose@AZStarNet.com
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:26:46 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ebonics

Matthew J. Miszewski writes:

>Why is it that personal freedom, sometimes expressed by choice of dialect
>or language, seemingly has such arbitrary limits?  Many on the list
>complain that they are subject to too many rules, and yet, seem to chime in
>on multi-linugual issues in this way.

Mr. Miszewski:

As an attorney, you may be acquainted with the concept of "reasonableness."

I can certainly express my personal freedom by passing wind at home (subject
only to the possibly vociferous objections of my family).

Were I to fart in church or in a board meeting, that would be a horse of a
different color, nicht wahr?

Thread