1996-12-27 - (Fwd) Re: Bad Idea

Header Data

From: admin@veracruz.net (Adam Breaux)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5dd660573f1d58df59da6cfff7ca9ebf758301a4a61a9b9ab6867500838f7573
Message ID: <19961227080555694.AAA268@monalisa>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:04:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: admin@veracruz.net (Adam Breaux)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:04:31 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Bad Idea

Good News Folks!!
-----

As far as I can tell, cypherpunks wasn't subscribed to anything. What
happened instead was someone started forging email in the name of the
list's submission address to various of my mailbots, which simply send
an informational e-mail back.

If they HAD spammed it onto a list, it'd be easier,b ecause I have some
anti-spamming stuff  in place, plus full logging on where requests come
from. I haven't had that on the mailbots before now, because nobody's
done this before that i know of. Guess I'm spending the next few days
closing this loophole...

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll clean this up as soon as I can, or at
least get logging in place to see where it's coming from, because
honestly, this one's a tough one to fix without just shutting down the
services.

And frankly, if someone's starting to use mailbots to spam, lists are
in big trouble, because there are zillions of those out there. Most
systems, for instance, have "info@xxxxx" addresses, all of which would
do exactly what my mailbots are doing.

chuq

--
           Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@solutions.apple.com) Software Gnome
       Apple Server Marketing Webmaster <http://www.solutions.apple.com/>

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui@plaidworks.com) <http://www.plaidworks.com/>
   (<http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/> +-+ The home for Hockey on the net)

I got no name or number/ I just hand out the lumber.
But if I get a chance to play/ I'm going to show 'em.
		-- Stick Boy (The Hanson Brothers, SUDDEN DEATH)

---
Adam Breaux
admin@veracruz.net
http://www.veracruz.net       {Corporate Page }
http://www.abyss.com          {Extracurricular}
http://www.iso-america.com    {In Search Of...}

"Violence is a cruel world doing what it
does best...break the habit...BE NICE" --- me.

Thread