1996-12-12 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Matthew J. Miszewski” <mjmiski@execpc.com>
Message Hash: 6a025599b33b559f9c39f9900964a792642bab3d0b34abc08268037052bac664
Message ID: <32AF6000.1D6@gte.net>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961211002633.00699be0@execpc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-12 01:33:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:33:08 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:33:08 -0800 (PST)
To: "Matthew J. Miszewski" <mjmiski@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Redlining

Matthew J. Miszewski wrote:
> I will not re-quote and rehash the argument thus far.  You do have a knack
> to ignore strong points (although admittedly not all) of your opponent in
> an argument.  Additionally, I am not trying to show anyone that you are a
> "bad person".  I was trying to carry-on civil discourse.  I know you really
> feel that you had no part in disrupting the discourse we started out in, I disagree.

[snip]

> My question was a real one.  The basis of it comes from my work with the
> homeless in which they have a difficult time getting a job because they
> have no "home address" to put on the forms, some do not have or remember
> their SSNs, etc. This causes a cyclic problem for the homeless. My question
> to Tim was, in the real world, how is the protection of this data feasible.

I believe the above paragraph could be the key to why a lot of argument
goes on unnecessarily - an economic model/theory may be a good one, but
is muddied by existing practice/legislation, i.e., the homeless are dis-
advantaged insofar as ID, address, credit and so on, which does not say
so much about the economic model as it does that the model is perturbed
by existing real-world compromises.

[remainder snipped]

Thread