1996-12-20 - some clarification of jurisdiction in Berstein (long)

Header Data

From: attila@primenet.com
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 807d63088f2da633120af1eb1dbd0939e13bb90337cce8dc25b9496bb727a5b6
Message ID: <199612201141.EAA01559@infowest.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:42:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: attila@primenet.com
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:42:38 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: some clarification of jurisdiction in Berstein (long)

the question:

::I've seen two other reports (one from NBC) that say the ruling
::only covers the one federal district.

::Any lawyers want to clarify?

        The caveat: the following is a personal opinion and is not, in
    any way, to be considered either legal opinion or legal advice.
    Hire an attorney who specializes in these issues before you do
    anything rash which might qualify you for three hots and a cot.

        Basically, jurisdiction is all a question of who wants to
    honor whose decision until a higher level either affirms or
    rejects the lower court ruling (or sends it back w/o a full ruling
    but requiring a review of some part of the decision by the lower
    court).

        Generally speaking, the decision is valid for the Northern
    District of California, but a Federal district judge anywhere in
    the U.S. can make a concurring decision based on citing Judge
    Patel's decision that source code is protected under Amendment 1.
    In other words, the cite is valid anywhere, and can be used as the
    basis of a decision.

        Likewise, another district judge somewhere in the U.S. can
    issue a contrary ruling, still citing Judge Patel's ruling, but
    disagreeing with its tenants; or even ignore the decision and
    forge new ground.

        The basic rule of thumb is each federal judge is 'Judge Roy
    Bean, Law West of the Pecos' in his own courtroom, and able to
    virtually ignore even USSC rulings by claiming the action is not
    the same for some silly reason.  He may be reversed on appeal...

        As for Judge Roy Bean, there have been a number who might
    qualify for the type in the Ninth Circuit who come to mind: Manny
    Real in LA, Hadder in LA, Foley in Vegas, and one in El Paso
    (whose name escapes me --maybe Peck), who was assassinated,
    probably by the drug trade, about 20 years ago. These are
    mavericks with a high percentage of cases reversed on appeal. Two
    of the four are of questionably diminished mental abilities, one
    was of questionable ethics, and one is just plain nuts --or at
    least off the wall (IMHO).

        I have not read the full Bernstein decision as yet, but I
    understand there are a fair number of unresolved issues such as
    binary objects. This again can spawn additional test cases, either
    by someone challenging the issue as Bernstein challenged the
    source code, which I consider was the correct decision as anyone
    can read source --understanding source code may be more difficult
    than reading a bad Russian translation of the nuances in Alice in
    Wonderland for some... (your mileage may vary...)

        Leaving government appeals out of the equation, if there are
    two or more district courts within an appeals circuit, whose
    fundamental opinion: 'source code is protected under Amendment 1
    rights' do not agree, the obvious step is for the Ninth Circuit
    Court of Appeals, either by a 3 judge panel, or a full court
    review, to take jurisdiction and decide which of the two opinions
    suits their fancy. If a 3 judge panel does not give the decision
    expected, there is also a possible review by a full court on the
    motion of either party.

        Now, suppose the Ninth Circuit affirms Judge Patel. At that
    point every district court within the jurisdiction of the Ninth
    Circuit uses the Bernstein case as a given, an affirmed precedent;
    the rulings will reflect that unless some clever clown adds a
    twist and the judge falls for it.

        Again, setting aside appeals, there are multiple circuit
    appeal regions.  None of these are bound by the Ninth Circuit
    decision, but it is a citation of importance.  Now, if there are
    significantly different opinions in the appeal circuits, then the
    Supreme Court will decide whether they will accept the decisions
    for review, deciding which decision is valid; or the USSC can
    ignore it.

        Personally, I would publish anything regardless. I've had more
    than one go around with the simpletons.

        The first time the goons in gray trenchcoats shake you out of
    the rack in the early morning, there is a real adrenalin rush;
    after that it's: "Oh, shit, you guys again, who wants some
    coffee?"  Whatever you do: keep your mouth shut; even teh previous
    thought is risky the assholes might charge you with attempted
    bribary of a Federal official.

        I have been quiet for 20 years; as you get older you get a lot
    more cranky, and less concerned with your welfare. You know:
    "strike another blow for Liberty, FUCK the CDA" and so on.  Be a
    martyr; give your all for the cause.  Eventually you end up in
    Springfield, Missouri, home for Federal Criminally Insane
    political victims.

        Larry Flynt (Hustler) managed to get away from the Feds who
    can hold an "insane" individual in their custody indefinitely:
    certifying him insane with one hand, while the other hand gives
    him a chemical lobotomy. Larry Flynt was sent to Springfield by a
    Federal Judge in LA for contempt of court --wearing an American
    flag as a diaper in his wheelchair (paraplegic).

        Unless you're a little crazy, I don't think I would start
    publishing source code yet. Oh, I expect it would be difficult
    for the Feds to get convictions with a strong precedent decision.

        But, keep in mind, federal judges are appointed on the basis
    of an ad in the local bar rag: 'wanted: middle aged person with
    failing law practice and good political connections.'  A Federal
    judge is appointed for life; after age 65 they are able to choose
    cases which interest them; most of them seem to die on the bench
    (some would dispute they were ever alive on the bench).

        It's been said, "what do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 40?"
        "Your, Honour."

        If you wish to lay down the bait trail in the Northern
    California district, by all means, go ahead, but you might find
    yourself charged in a criminal action, and the government
    presenting a case that your charges are 'different' than the
    Bernstein case: Bernstein just wanted to publish an academic
    paper, you are charged with violation of the munitions act and
    maybe treason and espionage.

        And, always remember your opponent is a drug-crazed 800 lb
    gorilla with a mission: conviction.

        This case is the big one: Bernstein was the plaintiff, in a
    civil action. You will be the _defendant_, in a criminal action.

        I would not put a scenario like this past the DOJ scum; maybe
    multiple times to try and obtain results which match their
    corroded mental image of peace, prosperity, and union harmony.

        The DOJ is not interested in either justice or the Bill of
    Rights. Federal attorneys are striving for high conviction rates,
    like Vietnam body counts --and are enforcing the policies of the
    administration, not the courts, the constitution, or the people.

        If you managed to get here through the convoluted logic, I
    would be careful of how you loosen the floodgates.  At this point
    we have made a statement which is a serious breach of their armor.
    We obviously need additional test cases to clarify the position,
    and the decision must ultimately be decided by the USSC.

        I would caution for another reason: if the Feds choose a
    preferred defendant who is flagrant, obnoxious, and on flaky
    ground; _they_ may have a good precedent, not us. Academic
    challenges are certainly among the best --a bit easier to make the
    point for education than for pornography.

        The next step IMHO, should be a challenge that object code is
    just a shipping container for the source code.

==
  I'll get a life when it is proven
    and substantiated to be better
      than what I am currently experiencing.