1996-12-31 - Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Header Data

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
To: Bill Frantz <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81b918d92329d952e38202de0721497090afa74298a0bbea49b558f3c6fb8d5a
Message ID: <v02140b00aeef066ecc51@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:25:52 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:25:52 -0800 (PST)
To: Bill Frantz <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

At 10:58 PM 12/30/1996, Bill Frantz wrote:
> The Christmas attack against this list shows the need to develop lists
> which are resistant to attacks.  If cyberspace is to become the town square
> of the next century, we need to be able to discourage brown shirts attacks
> on political gatherings.  If lists are to be a major part of the political
> life of the community, then they must be resistant to attacks from
> knowledgeable, well financed attackers, not just the shits who were the
> most recent perps.

> [Fine posting token proposal deleted.]

The easiest and fastest solution is to set up toad.com to charge a
dollar per message.  (Proceeds to be spent by John Gilmore as he
sees fit.)

We can then leverage off the existing e-cash infrastructure which
already provides blinding software for free on all major platforms.

What I like about this scheme is that well-financed attackers will
be welcomed.  A spam attack just means that John can buy more sushi!

(I volunteer to modify majordomo to accept e-cash if there is enough
interest in this proposal.)

Peter Hendrickson
ph@netcom.com

Thread