1996-12-30 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: drose@AZStarNet.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8294de739a4e54f5778ebfc2bb2395dea3dd0ba2b1c6877495b77110bde733f2
Message ID: <199612300338.UAA23011@web.azstarnet.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 19:38:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: drose@AZStarNet.com
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 19:38:49 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

Tim May wrote:

>At 6:09 PM -0700 12/29/96, drose@AZStarNet.com wrote:
>
>>"After Austria and Germany, Switzerland is my favourite country. I have
>>spent the past 40 winters and 10 summers there. I love the place because
>>it's clean, beautiful, very conservative and its people mind their own
>>business."
>>             Taki, in today's _Sunday Times_(London).
>
>Yes, the same Germany that is restricting Internet access, that proposed to
>jail Compuserve executives for allowing banned material on the Net, and
>that has laws  making various opinions illegal (specifically, the opinion
>that the Holocaust never happened as the official version declares, or that
>Aryans are superior to non-Aryans, etc.).
>
>I enjoy all three countries, as a tourist, but I strongly doubt the "its
>people mind their own business" characterization, even for Switzerland
>alone (and certainly not for Germany).

Woops. Guess that I should elided the "After Austria and Germany" clause.

Ob C-punks issues, I recall that Remo Pini, one of the Swiss on the list,
was preparing a CD-ROM crypto compilation disc. He hasn't posted in some
time, so perhaps the authorities have decided that such a project was in
fact "their business."

Seriously, I hope that Remo is able to give some information on the state of
the current Swiss crypto regs.

Thread