1996-12-10 - Re: Codebreakers on the shelves!

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8e7bc032592c3efd6824ad963f842fd912521762521e5f3058edd5f1b4ba6d33
Message ID: <v03007806aed2ec6f864a@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <9612100917.AA00662@srzts100.alcatel.ch>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-10 10:29:51 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 02:29:51 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 02:29:51 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Codebreakers on the shelves!

At 10:17 AM +0100 12/10/96, Remo Pini wrote:

>It's available in swiss bookstores for $49. I'm about to get one :)

I took a look at it a few days ago, and am disappointed.

As near as I can tell, from the comments by Kahn and from looking at it,
the new edition is _exactly_ the same as the 1967 edition, with the
exception of one additional chapter. The last chapter covers the Enigma
story in detail.

However, the public key cryptography revolution is covered in about two or
three pages (or at least this is my recollection). Brief mention is made of
Diffie, Hellman, etc., but nothing surprising or new.

So, it seems a better deal is to get one of the many used copies of the
original, for $20 or less, and then read any of the many good articles on
modern cryptography.

I'm hoping the new edition of Bamford is handled better.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"