1996-12-06 - Re: Aghast..

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8eba2ff6a374346c50ef2bb10a9a7215d310f6b39d0f6763411dfd0f7dc90a0e
Message ID: <v0300781eaece47e6a331@[206.119.69.46]>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:00:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:00:18 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Aghast..

--- begin forwarded text

Sender: e$@thumper.vmeng.com
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 16:48:05 -0500
From: Will Rodger <rodger@worldnet.att.net>
To: Multiple recipients of <e$@thumper.vmeng.com>

Folks - just for the record - the Freeh summary was a CLEAR typo, or at
least vague in its meaning. Someone meant to say Freeh thought it was an
*alienable* right. So much for cute phraseology.

Then again, anyone familiar with the numerous pieces we've run on crypto
would likely have guessed at our meaning. Sen. Conrad Burns, after all, was
#21 on our list.

>     I couldn't believe my eyes when reading through Inter@ctive Week's
> "The Driving Forces of Cyberspace" Top 25 list I saw that Louis J.
> Freeh, Director of the FBI received an Honorable Mention because of him
> supposedly believing that "Encryption is an inalienable right."  I
> suppose that isn't necessarily a lie, but it would need the word "Weak"
> added on to the front in order to qualify it.  Anyway, I was quite
> disappointed in seeing their poor choice of this candidate.

And yes, my face is at least as my hair, right now.......

Will Rodger
Washington Bureau Chief
Inter@ctive Week

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"The cost of anything is the foregone alternative" -- Walter Johnson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread