1996-12-06 - Re: Decline of Science ?? (Was: Stinger Specs)

Header Data

From: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se
Message Hash: 9a6e744511175ff2695b67b3f55772589a79ad6da79d3a62029071f8a40f3e14
Message ID: <01ICP7V0UQ80AEL0DS@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:57:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 15:57:11 -0800 (PST)
To: asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se
Subject: Re: Decline of Science ?? (Was: Stinger Specs)

From:	IN%"asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se"  "Asgaard"  6-DEC-1996 09:42:25.11

>and a PCR biochemist hacking DNA doesn't know shit about immunology
>or molecular neurology. In bio-science there is a discipline
>which tries to put all such kinds of specialties into a broader
>understanding of the human/animal body and soul - it's called
>physiology, and is a declining field with chronic lack of funds;
>not much money in it. I'm sure there is a comparable discipline

	While not a bio_chemist_, I am a molecular geneticist who
has heavily used PCR in the past - and am interested in learning
more about why particular "tweaks" work the way they do. I'm also
probably more familiar with immunology and with molecular
neurology (at least if you're meaning neuropsychopharmacology) than
most scientists outside those fields - certainly more so than most
people. There are still a few of us like that... and I'm Generation
3 in TCMay's terminology. BTW, I have taken physiology, and in its
human physiology manifestation it's actually a growing field in
the biomedical sciences area. Sure, a lot of people are
overspecializing up the wazoo... but those of us who don't are getting
more done.
	-Allen

Thread