1996-12-11 - Re: [OFF-TOPIC]Re: PICS is not censorship

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Message Hash: 9a74d2eaf07a66e3830cabb6a46ca5383606fcd5ed029babb8888a324056e9e3
Message ID: <199612111636.KAA01346@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <32AE0747.2CA5@tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-11 16:17:32 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:17:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:17:32 -0800 (PST)
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [OFF-TOPIC]Re: PICS is not censorship

Mike said:
> Gemini Thunder wrote:
> > There are universally valid truths.  You implicitly admit so by
> > stating "...at most, one religion is correct".
> No, he didn't; he said "at most".  I personally think none is correct,
> and I don't agree there are universally valid truths.  I defy you to
> explain how you know that to be so.

Universally valid truths:

     Down is towards the nearest object of gravitational attraction that
you are influenced by. Up is away.

     E=mc^2.

> > The problem is we can not always determine what the universally valid
> > truth is (especially so in moral/religious matters)
> Then why do you think there is such a thing?

     To think outherwise would imply a non-casual universe.

> > so we tend to cop-out
> Why is it a "cop-out" to accept the limits of human perception?

     Most people who "Accept their limits" never manage to get beyond them.

> > and say there are no truths, or something
> > along the lines of:
> > "Well, that might be right for you, but not for me."
> > or the one I love to hate:
> > "Perception is reality."
> How do you know reality is something other than perception if you
> don't perceive it to be so?

    Collusion (spelling?). Two or more observers get together and compare
perceptions. If their perceptions are noot the same, or at most similar,
then perception is _not_ reality.

     HTH.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>