1996-12-24 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: 9dad18c2fa5b0a2151d4295be689f96850a222338bfeb1c3db3fdb8739366a9c
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961224114532.19793C-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <32BF2E0C.303D@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-24 16:48:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 08:48:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 08:48:31 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Ebonics

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Dr. Vulis has in fact been forcibly unsubscribed.  He's on my "who
> cypherpunks" list as of 12 Oct 1996, but does not appear as of
> 04 Nov, 30 Nov, and 18 Dec, when I last asked for a list.

As far as majordomo is concerned, - yes.  However, there are those who
subscribe invisible and therefore wouldn't show up when you say "who
cypherpunks" to majordomo@toad.com.

> The fact that he still reads the list and does posts only adds to the
> arguments against censorship, specifically John Gilmore's censorship.
> (This has got to be embarrassing for Gilmore, hee hee.  I'll bet he
> practices keeping a straight face in front of a mirror, in case anyone
> brings it up in person.)

I will not argue on John's reaction since I do not know him, nor have I
met him, however, the fact that Vulis posts and reads cypherpunks means
he's still here.

> If, as has been said, assassination is the ultimate form of censorship,
> then Dr. Vulis has been shot, stoned, beat on, and cement-booted, but
> he still lives and is a thorn (no pun intended) in the side of would-
> be censors on the Internet.

If he had been ultimatly censored, shot, stoned, beat on, and
cement-booted, he certainly wouldn't be able to post.  He's still here.
So the above is bullshit.

It's not a question that he found a way to read from and post to the
cypherpunks list.  He hasn't been prevented from doing so, therefore his
unsubscription hasn't been enforced, so he's still here.

If before he was unsubscribed he was able to post messages and read
messages, and now that he's unsubscribed he's able to post messages and
read messages, what's the difference to the rest of us on the list?  As
far as we can see, he's still subscribed.  Never mind that he gets his
messages from usenet or elsewhere, he's still here.  There is NO
difference to the rest of cypherpunks.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If  you're  gonna die,  die  with your|./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|boots on;  If you're  gonna  try,  just |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |stick around; Gonna cry? Just move along|\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |you're gonna die, you're gonna die!"    |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|  --Iron Maiden "Die With Your Boots on"|.....

Thread