1996-12-11 - Re: IPG algorithim

Header Data

From: wichita@cyberstation.net
To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Message Hash: af10f6f9de080ca628de3f8d2a8f5cb8616284ade23cb97c4f24889f9aa89db7
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.95.961211020454.11832D-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
Reply To: <199611302118.NAA12825@slack.lne.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-11 08:49:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:49:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: wichita@cyberstation.net
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:49:45 -0800 (PST)
To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: IPG algorithim

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Eric Murray wrote:

Eric, unlike all the other forespeakers, I do appreciate the fact that
you tried to understand the algorithm and implement it. However, you
have several things wrong, the most important being that the PRNG
produces ONLY a seed for the main algorithm and over short sequences,
for example 53^2, that is only slightly over  an average occurrence
of 8 each for the 256 ASC II characters, and the seed streams are
congruent. However, the algorithm uses a 3 dimensional table lookup to
translate the numbers to the Encryptor stream.

I suggest that you get a free copy of the operating program, generate your
own key, and then run the output through any meaningful test that you
might desire. That would indeed establish whether or not our system does
what we claim it will do or not. It does, but neither my words or your
partial tests prove anything.

The expected occurrence of an identical repeat, that is a where the same
seed gives the same result is 1 in 2^36. Of course that does not mean that
the same resultant encryptor character might not be generate because there
are only 256 possibilities, so the same character would result from the
same seed at least 1 in 256 times, and of course statistically more
frequently than that, but the over sequence of events leading to the
production of that character is different.

While I do appreciate your effort to understand and implement the
algorithm, it would be helpful if you would contact me first and get a
copy of the keys and everything detailed in the web site. I take it that
you used the abbreviated version, or failed to read all the information etal.
If you use the tables and so forth detailed at the web site and use the
full algorithm, the results will be far different as you will find.

> I have translated the IPG algorithim's "engine" to C, to generate
> some random values from it for testing purposes.  It does not
> look very random in either the xnoisesph program or the DIEHARD
> test battery.   However I may well have misinterprested Mr. Wood's
> description (his writing is, as Mr. Chudov points out, difficult to
> understand) or written my code incorrectly.  Here it is, play
> with it yourself.  To my untrained eye the lack of randomness
> in what's essentially a stream cipher would be disturbing.
> However I am not a cryptoanalysist so I do not know to
> what extent this weakens the cipher.
>

> The IPG description does not say (but implies to me) that
> the various tables that are to be filled in by "random" values must
> be filled in by PRNGs that are seeded with the same seeds by
> each of the party that knows the key.  Otherwise the "encryptor
> streams" that are generated will be unrelated and decryption will not
> be possible.  To make my test work I have used the simple rand()
> function to fill in the tables.
>

> Corrections are welcome.
>

> #include <stdio.h>
>
> /* a C translation of the IPG "EUREKA" algorithim's "engine".
> ** This is supposed to produce random numbers for the IPG
> ** "encryptor stream".
> ** See http://www.netprivacy.com/ for the original description.
> ** Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  This code placed under GNU copyleft.  */
>
> /* machine-dependent stuff, change to suit different platforms: */
> typedef unsigned char byte;
> typedef unsigned short uint16;
>

> /* tables: */
> uint16 A[53];
> uint16 B[53];
> uint16 C[53];
>

> int init_table(uint16*table, uint16 min, uint16 max)
> {
> 	/* IPG specifies no algorithim for producing the "random"
> 	** initial values in the ABC tables, but it's obvious that
> 	** it requires a PRNG that's somehow seeded from the "key".
> 	** I've just used rand() here.  In UNIX rand() called with no
> 	** seed is supposed to seed itself with 0. */
> 	int i;
> 	int count, r;

Wrong - the algorithms are specified at the web site - look again. You
cannot just use rand(). That is patently absurd.

> 	for(i = 0; i < 53; i++) {
> 		table[i] = min + (rand() % (max - min));
> 	}
> }
>
> main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
> 	uint16 jv;
> 	int argcnt, i, n, count, diehard, nelem;
>
> 	diehard = 0;
> 	argcnt = 1;
> 	if (argc >= 2) {
> 		if (strncmp(argv[argcnt],"-d") == 0) {
> 			diehard++;
> 			argcnt++;
> 		}
> 	}
> 	if (argc > argcnt - 1 ) {
> 		n = atoi(argv[argcnt]);
> 		fprintf(stderr,"Generating %d values\n",n);
> 	}
> 	else {
> 		n = 2000;
> 	}
>
> 	/* seed tables: */
> 	fprintf(stderr,"Seeding:  A");  fflush(stderr);
> 	init_table(A,0,65535);
> 	fprintf(stderr," B");  fflush(stderr);
> 	init_table(B,0,12227);
> 	fprintf(stderr," C");  fflush(stderr);
> 	init_table(C,16384,20361);
> 	fprintf(stderr,"\n");  fflush(stderr);
>
> 	/* generate n values: */
> 	for(; n > 0; n--) {
> 		/* jv is "random" (where's it seeded from?) */
from the key

> 		jv = (uint16)(rand() % 53);
>
> 		/* count limits the number of traverses to 53^2 so we don't get stuck */
> 		for(count = 0; count < 2809; count++) {
> 			jv++;
> 			if (jv == 53) jv = 0;
> 			A[jv] = (A[jv] + B[jv]) % C[jv];
> 			if (A[jv] < 16384) break;
> 		}
> 		if (count == 2809) fprintf(stderr,"Oops.\n");
> 		else {
> 			if (!diehard) {
> 				printf("%d\n",A[jv]);
> 			}
> 			else {
> 				/* print output in DIEHARD required format:
> 				** actually since we have 16-bit ints and DIEHARD
> 				** wants 32-bit ints, we print 20 per line instead of 10 */
> 				if (nelem++ > 19) {printf("\n"); nelem = 0;}
> 				printf("%4.4x",(unsigned int)A[jv]);
> 			}
> 		}
> 	}
> }
>

> --
But they do not reference the same table entries either as is plain to see.
Your implementation, while appreciated, is plain flawed in many respects. We do not use any
special As, Bs and Cs. Any selection will do.

If you are going to implement that algorithm, please use all of it, not
just the seed generator. I grant you that with only 53 different
equations, the resultant seed numbers do not give a random CHI square,
especially over short frame sizes. Certainly over 53^2, it would give you
staccato results. Not only that, but they are congruent. Nevertheless,
this is more of the supercilious half ass crap that writers post. If you
implement the rest  of the algorithm, you will find that it does always
meet the Chi Square tests for randomness, not sometimes but always. I have
posted  over 200 megabytes of data to our web site and it is still there.
Pick any spot in the data, and run your chi squares tests on it.

If you are going to try to critiqued the IPG algorithm, please use the
entire algorithm set out. There are so many things wrong with your
implementation, that it would take me days to cover everything.
I suggest that you get a sample copy of our operating program , generate
your own Keys and then analyze the output data. Then if it does not
perform as we have stated you can tear us apart. But your meaningless
jabberwocky means nothing other than you have at least tried to understand
the algorithm, which to repeat, we appreciate.

Thread