1996-12-31 - Re: New crypto regulations

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: b0d9e1f27996636d5cdda1ec50545abf4eee50ebdd94e2419905780bceb9b88d
Message ID: <199612312235.QAA00478@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <v03007800aeede9f25d5c@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-31 22:20:28 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:20:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:20:28 -0800 (PST)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: New crypto regulations

Mr. May said:
> At 12:07 PM -0800 12/30/96, Lucky Green wrote:
> Net of course (stego, hidden, remailed, whatever).
>
> The whole book thing is an oddity...no meaningful crypto is going to be
> helped or hindered by the book exception.

     I disagree. The thing about exporting crypto code in book for is that
it allows budding anarc^h^h^h^h^h cryptographers and crypto-programmers
specific examples of algorythm implementation.

     It allows people outside the US to learn about and write good crypto.

     I, for one, don't care _where_ the code gets written, as long as I can
get it, and use it. France, Libya, Russia, or Albania, it doesn't matter
WHERE the keyboard is, with the internet it is all 30 or 40 hops away.

     Of course, that is the problem. Soon we will see the banning of
IMPORT of strong crypto.

     These people are either very stupid, or very bright. Either way, they
are not on friendly terms with freedom.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@smoke.suba.com