1996-12-17 - Big Brother moves to Oregon

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d9843e155313b40cbcda97c525cf9e2903030714e28d07cfd12a8978d90a5d2b
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19961216204945.0113666c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:06:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:06:55 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Big Brother moves to Oregon

Here is something you may not have heard about.

The new drivers licences in the state of Oregon have a digital picture on
them.  You get one on your licence and the state keeps on on file.  Any
time the police need to pull up information on you, your picture comes up
along with it.  (The police are supposed to have this capability in their
vehicles any day now, if not already.)  This plan is being put into place
as fast as they can and over 70+ million over budget.  (They expect to have
all of the Department of Motor Vehicles offices hooked up in a couple of
months.)

And the "Drivers Licence Number" has been replaced with a "Customer
Number".  (Had to have a bit of newspeak creep in there somewhere I guess...)

Oregon used to be a nice place to live.  Lately they have been the
experementing ground for some of the most draconian laws in the country.

"Welcome to the New Global Village.  You are Customer Number 6."

---
|        "Spam is the Devil's toothpaste!" - stuart@teleport.com         |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread