1996-12-27 - “Deeyenda” E-MAil virus alert!!!!!!

Header Data

From: tedk <tpk@sensorsys.com>
To: gpk@research.bell-labs.com
Message Hash: deae8de8b807b0ae652994e38da1a1f60731c17442aa5b8b75561aeb08c88f4c
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961227150154.00716578@pop.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 13:04:14 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: tedk <tpk@sensorsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 13:04:14 -0800 (PST)
To: gpk@research.bell-labs.com
Subject: "Deeyenda" E-MAil virus alert!!!!!!

 To:  ALL

From: Ted Kochanski

Re:  "Deeyenda"  E-MAIL Virus ALERT

#: 2456 S0/CompuServe Mail  [MAIL]
     20-Dec-96 20:23 EST
 Sb: Virus Alert
 Fm: Art Ellingsen > INTERNET:artell@ix.netcom.com
 To: Robert M. Avallone [70733,1707]

Dear ALL:

I apologize if I happen to send this two you more than once.  If so it was
not intentional.

I received this warning from a reliable software vendor and thought I
would pass it on to you and wish you a Merry Christmas too.

**********************VIRUS ALERT************************************

        VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION, PLEASE READ!

There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet.  If
you  receive an E-Mail message with the subject line "Deeyenda", DO NOT
read the message, DELETE it immediately!

Some miscreant is sending E-Mail under the title "Deeyenda" nationwide,
if you get anything like this DON'T  DOWNLOAD THE FILE!  It has a virus
that rewrites your hard drive, obliterates anything on it.  Please be
careful and forward this E-Mail to anyone you care about.

Please read the message below.

FCC WARNING!!!!! -----DEEYENDA PLAGUES INTERNET

The Internet community has again been plagued by  another computer
virus. This message is being spread throughout the Internet, including
USENET posting, E-MAIL, and other Internet activities. The reason for
all the attention is because of the nature of this virus and the
potential security risk it makes.  Instead of a destructive Trojan virus
(like most viruses!), this virus referred to as Deeyenda Maddick,
performs a comprehensive search on your computer, looking for valuable
information, such as E-Mail and login passwords, credit cards, personal
inf., etc.

The Deeyenda virus also has the capability to stay memory resident while
running a host of applications and operation systems, such as Windows
3.11 and Windows 95.  What this means to Internet users is that when a
login and password are send to the server, this virus can copy this
information and SEND IT OUT TO UN UNKNOWN ADDRESS (varies).

The reason for this warning is because the Deeyenda virus is virtually
undetectable.  Once attacked your computer will be unsecured.  Although
it can attack any O/S this virus is most likely to attack those users
viewing Java enhanced Web Pages (Netscape 2.0+ and Microsoft Internet
Explorer 3.0+ which are running under Windows 95).  Researchers at Princeton
University have found this virus on a number of World Wide Web pages and
fear its spread.

Please pass this on, for we must alert the general public of the
security risks.

Steven Chevalier
Vice President Distribution
VersaNet International