1996-12-12 - Re: New export controls to include code signing applications

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: edfa8a0009945a9630978fab72638cb2f6734111cb8fe1132c26e7ee193edbb8
Message ID: <v03007800aed5107ab512@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19961211163934.006a08a0@netcom14.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-12 01:28:19 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:28:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:28:19 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: New export controls to include code signing applications

At 4:39 PM -0800 12/11/96, Lucky Green wrote:
>It has been speculated in the past that certain crypto schemes, such as
>proposed by Microsoft and Sun, using signed crypto plugins might be helpful
>to the cause for strong crypto if non-US branches of US software companies
>would certify foreign developed crypto software.
>
>According to the recent proposal by Commerce, this will not happen. It will
>be illegal to export the software required to sign the code. So much for
>the government's claim that they make no attempt to limit the export of
>signing-only software.
>
>>From http://www.steptoe.com/commerce.htm
>
>[Listing specific software prohibited from export]
>"c.2. "Software" to certify "software" controlled by 5D002.c.1; "

They're really looking desperate, aren't they? They try to limit the export
of crypto software, they try to limit the export of anything with "hooks"
for adding crypto outside the U.S., they try to limit export of crypto
knowledge, and here they're even trying to limit _signing_ software?

What's next? Maybe they'll try to limit the dispensing of _legal advice_ by
U.S. attorneys to foreign clients.

(I keep using the phrase "they try to" becuase obviously few of these
schemes to keep the horses in the barn will work.)

It's looking more and more obvious that crypto development belongs outside
the U.S. (is this observation a controlled item?).

--Tim

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"