1997-01-29 - Re: Getting into MIT is impossible

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0523bfa5338b336624099e9a909b8958e9dc5695d0731dfc3bc8a27c0afbf621
Message ID: <199701291456.GAA03369@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:56:35 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:56:35 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Getting into MIT is impossible

ichudov@algebra.com wrote:

> can any kind soul tell me, what are the SAT scores needed to be in
> the top 10%, top 1%, and top 0.1% of all the students who take these
> tests?

I'm not sure what this has to do with, well, anything, but here goes.

Scores from before April 1995 are not comparable to scores today because
the method of scoring has changed to recenter the distribution. The 99th
percentile starts at 1440 for women and 1490 for men. Full stats at
http://www.collegeboard.org/sat/html/topsrs29.html

Please note that this is for "college-bound seniors." It's not a stat
that applies to the general population (i.e., 1490+ is the top 1% of the
elite 30% or so that go to college), and it doesn't include people who
were satisfied with the score they got the beginning of their junior
year, and didn't take it again (i.e., me).

I don't know about MIT, but I'd think that their numbers would be even
higher than those for Stanford, because MIT doesn't recruit football
players. Some of Stanford's numbers are at
http://www-portfolio.stanford.edu/105549

MIT and the like aren't impossible. Fucking elitist, yes. Worth it?
Probably, though two of my closest and most intelligent friends have no
college degrees at all. Of course, they had to earn people's respect,
whereas I had people recruiting me based largely on the fact that I
still had a pulse five years after taking the SAT. What counts is what
people want you to do five years after that.

-rich

Thread