1997-01-20 - Re: One time pads and randomness?

Header Data

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2be828b57770fc3c1f40b65992240d057b614ed243bccf08991b28efb4cd25ce
Message ID: <199701201626.IAA12827@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:26:09 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:26:09 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: One time pads and randomness?

>[Blurb on OTPs ...] I realize this has a limited amount of
>messages before it is used up. But would this be secure?
>Any suggestions, complaints, big gapping holes I missed?

TMK, this is as close to a perfectly secure system as can be achieved.  *AS
LONG AS* the disks/discs are never compromised and never reused.

As an interesting sidenote, if you read Tom Clancy's "Sum of All Fears"
this is the type of system the CIA wants to implement even though the NSA
doesn't want to back them because they think their (compromised) sytem is
secure.  Don't we all wish...

_________ o s b o r n e @ g a t e w a y . g r u m m a n . c o m _________
"I thought your patience was infinte?"
'Since space and time are curved, the infinite sooner or later bends back
upon itself and ends up where it began and so have I.'

Thread