1997-01-31 - Re: Cats Out of Bags

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 306e5bba968de6e14b669d66b3e4bea6fc7fbd3830e7c59a4994a21bcdaab44f
Message ID: <199701310506.VAA04697@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:06:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:06:15 -0800 (PST)
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Cats Out of Bags

Sandy:

>> 1. it is unconstitutional to put a crypto genie in a bottle
>> in the first place.
>> 2. it is unconstitutional to make laws against ringing crypto bells.
>
>We do not disagree except neither of the metaphors I gave suggest
>anything about the "putting in the bag" part of the deal.  In no
>way does either suggest a right, power or even ability of anyone
>to limit any freedom.  They are mute on the subject.  Their sole
>meaning is that one CAN'T undo what is already done.  In the
>instant case, that means the wide-spread availability of strong
>crypto.

ability to use strong crypto is not "either or" but a matter of degree. the
question is not "is strong crypto available", but, "how much harder would
the NSA's peeping be if ITAR was relaxed?

the real question is, do we have the right to use strong crypto,
or don't we? if we don't then the government has the authority
to regulate it to its heart's content, *regardless* of whether
those laws are effective or not. cpunks seem to think that a govt
can only have *effective* laws. but there is obviously no such
constraint.

I think we need to approach it from the point of view that we
have the *right* to use strong crypto, and see if the supreme
court agrees. hence I'm very interested in the bernstein etc.
cases, which may be the ultimate breakthrough eventually..
there is no end to the blathering about genies, cats, or bells
that can sway the govt, but a single supreme court decision
can have a revolutionary effect.

again I still think the genie/cat/bell metaphor is a disservice to
the cause, but feel free to defy me.

just one crackpot's opinion, YMMV

Thread