1997-01-31 - RE: Fighting the cybercensor

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Message Hash: 3e46a4019a2360598f7868ee0886bef2fdfa45c495bc9e39f2a81dda49231783
Message ID: <199701311700.JAA17860@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:00:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:00:32 -0800 (PST)
To: blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Subject: RE: Fighting the cybercensor

[big snip]
>If every time someone made a mistake they got
>punished, without the opportunity to understand the error and without the
>opportunity to make corrections, they would be a psychological wreck.

Yes, you have certainly pointed out a property of AP, insofar as teaching
is concerned.  The reality of the physical world is that some mistakes, for
example steping off a cliff, are immediately punished by a fall and
possibly death.  The 'student' may or may not learn for the experience but
other students who are witness most certainly will.

>If every time someone made mistake they got assassinated, not only would no
>one wish to do anything for fear of losing their lives, creating a
>"society" of timid sheep, there probably wouldn't be many people remaining
>to savor the triumph of being superior.

I sincerely doubt that many would use AP to right small slights, anymore
than many now kill others for the same reasons.  The world has always been
inhabited by bullies and tyrants who cared little of what harm they caused
others.  An AP system would quickly eliminate bullies and tyrants.

>AP is just another form of war.   You can bet that if assassinations
>increased a hundred fold as a result of your method, not only "governments"
>but some very bright people would get together to figure out a defense
>against it, for they also would be "at risk".

I think the reaction of the society as a whole to AP would depend on what
its perceived overall results were.  If assassinations of scum and tyrants
increased a hundred fold it would hardly be noticed on any political radar
screen, except the bullies and tyrants.

--Steve

Thread