1997-01-22 - Re: ADSL (Was: GSM technology

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 48538870c26ca4888a9178aa6e06b66c7c07a0142da87f26dbcbc6c7255cca19
Message ID: <199701221440.GAA24691@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:40:27 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:40:27 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ADSL (Was: GSM technology

>At 09:43 AM 1/20/97 -0500, Nurdane Oksas wrote:
>>       Does anyone use ADSL lines?  or are they still very expensive?
>
>They're not widely available yet; I don't know if any of the (US)
>phone companies offer it as more than trials.  One limitation is that
>the technology works over copper wire, so it has to be offered at
>your local telco wire center.  Of course, your local telco has to
>have something useful to do with the bits once the user sends
>them to the telco, and has to have some useful bits to send the user.
>This means they've got to haggle about standards for 5 more years
>(or just do the right thing and deploy IP, with some respectable
>bandwidth to the outside world) (or deploy ATM to get a layer 2
>connection to something outside.)

That was the intent of at least one sectio of the recently enacted Telecom
Reform Act, but now the Baby Bells are trying to block local access
provisions in the SC which would allow, for example, ISP to offer
ISDN/ADSL/HDSL via their own CO equipment (bypassing the telco switches).

>Don't know if the telcos have a clue about pricing, either.
>It's obviously got to be more than cost, but they'll probably
>thrash around a lot the way they did with IP....
>
>#                       Thanks;  Bill
># Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
># You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp
>#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread