1997-01-20 - Re: Thoughts re moderation, filtering, and name changes

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: 49ebdee46f55cf4d6acc92fbd9acfd7b29a80cd3ecc3337b3c4302d7e74b9b9e
Message ID: <199701200455.UAA00370@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:55:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:55:42 -0800 (PST)
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts re moderation, filtering, and name changes

Greg Broiles wrote:
> One approach to the name question would be to eliminate
> "cypherpunks@toad.com" and force old/new subscribers to choose between
> "cypherpunks-edited" and "cypherpunks-unedited". The advantage I see is
> that it provides more accurate feedback about what people want; the present
> method provides information about the perceived value of unmoderation
> weighed against the bother of dealing with subscribing & unsubscribing. The
> disadvantage is that it's likely to eliminate many subscribers, and that it
> tends to abandon the "cypherpunks@toad.com" history which is, by now, ~5
> years old.

A good thought, Greg.  One problem, though.  My suspicion is that
Gilmore/Sandfort really wanted to have all the current subscribers
to the old unedited list to automatically be part of the new edited
list.  I don't think your possible approach would be acceptable to
anyone I know, forcing people to re-subscribe (and implying that those
who don't do anything would be unsubscribed, which would freak the
list owners out for sure).

Thread