1997-01-21 - RE: GSM technology

Header Data

From: Blake Coverett <blake@bcdev.com>
To: “cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 4cdd4b82ddcedd054429f45f25c8c2c322d00b474ff268926d4c2ff840a039fe
Message ID: <01BC0707.3ED5B650@bcdev.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:22:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Blake Coverett <blake@bcdev.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:22:38 -0800 (PST)
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: GSM technology

Lucky wrote:

> I just had a very interesting talk with somebody from Northern Telecom (Canada's Phone Company). NorTel has apparently skipped ISDN and > is now deploying ADSL. Some areas already have access to ADSL at, can you believe this, $60/month.

NorTel isn't exactly Canada's phone company.  NorTel manufactures
telecom equipment.  It is however 51% owned by BCE, which owns
or has controlling interest in Bell Canada and several of the regional
carriers as well a huge mess of other telco stuff.

ISDN is available fairly widely in my area of the country, but I'm
not aware of an commercially available ADSL  UUNET Canada
has been conducting ADSL trials in a couple of cities, but that's
all I've heard of thus far.

regards,
-Blake (who would love to be proved wrong as the price sounds great)

Thread